We need the participation of breeders/members that have information regarding dogs diagnosed with Portal Systemic Shunt.
The following statement describes what is needed for this research:
First, those with an affected dog (including those that have been
corrected by surgery) please contact us, so we can send you DNA
Collection kits and instructions.
Contact us by phone at 517-432-0144
or by fax 517-355-5164.
Secondly, we need to enlist your help in identifying and locating
littermates (normal or affected) and dam and sire (normal or affected) of the affected dog, so we can arrange to get DNA samples
Before any pedigree can be useful, there must at least be one affected dog available for DNA sampling. We would like to have a
fasting and a 2 hour post-feeding bile acid test on all dogs. Fasting ammonia measurements would also be useful.
l) Cheek swabs are easy to use (we provide all the materials and
2) Cheek swabs can be mailed using regular mail and without the need for refrigeration.
3) ALL INFORMATION IS KEPT STRICLY CONFIDENTIAL AND
4) ONLY GENERAL FINDINGS ARE REPORTED IN PRESENTATIONS
5) We need participation in great numbers. Otherwise we can not carry out a successful study.
6) We look forward to working with all the Cairn and Yorkie owners and breeders to eliminate this complex and challenging
disease in the coming years.
7) Please contact me if you have any questions about the above
Dr. Vilma Yuzbasiyan-Gurkan,
College of Veterinary Medicine
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824